Dr. Velasquez's contributions to science include thirty-two new species and one new genus of digenetic trematodes from Philippine food fishes, two from birds and five from mammals; nine life cycles of trematodes of the family Transversotrematidae, Echinostromatidae, Notocotylidae (2), Plagiorchidae, Heterophyidae (2), Microphallidae and Philophtalmidae. In addition, two new species of nematodes from Philippine fishes and a new species of Capillaria from the intestine of man. Also, a new species of parasitic copepod in Glossogobius giurus (Goby). Most of these works are published in international journals and cited in a number of journals abroad.
The Thirty-two new species and one new genus of digenetic trenatodes from Philippine food fishes, 2 from birds and 5 from mammals represented as follows:
- Family Bucephalidae - 12 new species - 1 new species from the U.S. National Museum Helminthological collection which was misidentified by Linton.
- Family Transversotre atidae - 1 new species - only world representative with a complete record.Abbreviated life cycle elucidated.
- Family Prosogonotrematidae - 1 new species
- Family Monodhelminthidae - 1 new species
- Family Cryptogonimidae - 4 new species and 1 new genus
- Family Hemiuridae - 2 new species
- Family Echinostomatidae - 2 new species
- Family Plagiorchidae - 1 new species
- Family Notocotylidae - 1 new species
- Family Philopthalmidae 1 new species
- Family Heterophyidoe - 1 new species
- Family Didymozoiclae - 1 species
- Family Microphallidae - 1 new species
- Monogenea - 1 new species
Birthdate: 07 August 1913
Died: 16 October 1994
- Ph. D. Parasitlogy - University of the Philippines 1954
- M.S. Zoology - University of Michigan 1937
- B.S. Zoology - University of the Philippines 1934
Honors and Awards Received:
- 1953-Phi Sigma Award - Alpha Chi Chapter, University of the Philippines
- 1963-Research Grant AWard - U.S. Department of Health
- 1965-Presidential Distinguished Service Medal and Diploma of Honor - President of the Republic of the Philippines
- 1973-U.P. Alumni Association Professional Award
- 1973-NSDB Outstanding Published Works - National Science Development Board
- 1975-Special Award - Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines, Inc.
- 1975-Outstanding Woman in Science in the Philippines - UNESCO
- 1978-Academician - National Academy of Science and Technology
- 1983-Proclaimed as National Scientist - President of the Republic of the Philippines