Dr. Escuro has made significant contributions to rice breeding, as plant breeder, Professor, extension worker, and consultant in agricultural projects. He provided leadership in the development, isolation, and release of nine Seed Board rice varieties: Milpal 4, HBD-2, Azmil 26 and C-22 (upland) and C-18, C4-63, C4-137, C-168 and C-12 (lowland).
Dr. Escuro has 18 honors and awards to his name. These include two Presidential awards, Presidential Plaque of Merit for outstanding accomplishments in rice improvement (1967) and Rizal Pro Patria award for outstanding contribution to rice breeding and genetics. He is also recipient of the University of the Philippines Distinguished Professional award in agriculture (1973), and D.Sc. (honoris causa 1974) and the 1974 Ayala award in agricultural science.
Birthdate: 2 August 1923
Died: 8 September 2000
- B.S.A. (Agronomy), University of the Philippines, Los Banos, 1952
- M.S. (Plant Breeding), Cornell University, 1954
- Ph.D. (Genetics and Plant Breeding), University of Minnesota, 1959
Honors and Awards Received:
- 1967 - Presidential Plaque of Merit Outstanding Accomplishments in Rice Improvement - Office of the President of the Philippines
- 1968 - Rizal-Pro-Patria Award and Presidential Ciation for Outstanding Contribution in Rice Breeding and Genetics - Office of the President of the Philippines
- 1969 - Plaque of Merit for Edifying efforts of a teacher and scientist - Nabua Free Wheeling Club
- 1969 - Cited for Achievements in Agriculture - Philippine Womens University
- 1971 - 20th Anniversary Award for Science for Outstanding contribution in the field of rice breeeding - Philippine Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1972 - Award of Distinction and Merit as Most Distinguished AluMnus of Cam. Sur High School - Pearl Anniversary Celebration, Cam. Sur High School, Class 1942
- 1973 - First G.O. Ocfemia Memorial Award for Achievement and Leadership in rice breeding - Philippine Society for Microbiology
- 1973 - University of the Phil. Distinguished Professional Award in Agriculture - University of the Philippines
- 1975 - Philsugin Research Achievement Award - Crop Science Society of the Philippines
- 1975 - The Ayala Award for 1974 in Agricultural Science - Filipinas Foundation
- 1976 - Outstanding Alumnus Award - UPCA Alumni Association
- 1979 - Doctor of Science Alumnus Award, Honoris Causa - University of the Philippines
- 1980 - Academician-National Academy of Science and Technology
- 1984 - Achievement Award for Significant and Outstanding Achievements in Rice Breeding and Genetics - National Research Council of the Philippines
- 1984 - Plaque of Recognition and Appreciation in the field of. Science and Technology- Samahan Nabuenos and Cultural Foundation of Nabua, Inc.
- 1988 - Most Distinguished Alumnus Award for 1988 - University of the Philippines at Los Banos Alumni Association Inc.
- 1994 - Proclaimed as National Scientist - President of the Republic of the Philippines