Dr. Lopez was cited as the father of the Philippine Linguistics in recognition of his pioneering work in the development of a Filipino tradition in the scientific study of Philippine Language. Many of hisworks are considered classics such as A Manual to the Philippine National Language two sequels of a Comparative Philippine World List 1974 and 1976 and A Handbook of Comparative Austronesian 1978 and in two parts: the mnemoic, consisting of 109 problems of photo-morphs solved in five Indonesian languages, two Melanesian Languages the heuristic, including 24 Philippine Languages and 192 photo-Austronesian morphs.
Birthdate: 15 January 1894
Died: 5 September 1979
- B.S. in Zoology - University of the Philippines 1923
- Dr. Phil. Linguistics - University of the Hamburg 1928
Honors and Awards Received:
- 1970 - Honored as the Father of Philippine Linguistics, Pambansang Samahan sa Linggwistikang Pilipino, Ink.
- 1970 - Outstanding Distinguished Alumnus, University of the Philippines Alumni Association
- 1978 - Academician, National Academy of Science and Technology