In recognition of his pioneering and significant contributions to Nematology including host-parasite relationships, national survey and identification of nematodes infesting economic crops, and their cultural and biological control which undoubtedly enriched the science of Nematology in the Philippines and earned him international recognition and the distinction of the first Filipino to be included in the "Who is Who" in Nematology.
His discoveries on the cultural and biological control of nematodes have provided the Filipino farmers effective tools against nematodes, thereby increasing their crop productivity and income. He discovered the first biological control agent against nematodes, which has been commercialized in the country as well as in Australia and Germany.
Birthdate: 14 March 1934
- B.S.A. - University of the Philippines Los Baños - 1957
- M.S. - Oklahoma State University Stillwater, Oklahoma - 1962
- Ph. D. - North Carolina State University Raleigh, N.C. - 1966
Honors and Awards Received:
- 1962 - Granted a research assistantship by Oklahoma State University, to work for the degree of Master of Science (M.S.)
- 1965 - Granted a research assistantship by North California State University at Raleigh to work for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.)
- 1967 - Awarded a certificate for outstanding performance in research by UPCA Tin Jubilarian
- 1972 - Listed in the Philippine Men of Science Vol. 3, pages 187-191
- 1978 - Awarded a Post Doctoral Study Grant by UPLB-CA to enable him to pursue post doctoral studies in Nematology at the National University of Ireland in University College, Cork
- 1978 - Awarded a Plaque of Distinction as Outstanding Plant Pathologist by the Phil. Phytopathological Society
- 1982 - Awarded a SEARCA Professorial Chair as Associate Professor of Phylonematology
- 1982 - Awarded the Distinguished Alumnus Plaque by the U.P. College of Agriculture Alumni Association in recognition of his scientific research studies on plant parasitic nematodes
- 1982 - Received an Award of Distinction as Outstanding Leader or Class '57 on the occasion or the 25th Anniversary of the U. P. College of Agriculture Class 1957
- 1983 - Received a Service Award in recognition of his 20 years service to the University of the Philippines at Los Baños, Given by the President of the University of the Philippines
- 1984 - Given a Recognition Award for achievement in Diploma Program Management by the College of Agriculture, UPLB,
- 1986 - Recipient or G.Y. Zara Applied Science Award for merilorious resaearch achievements in the field of biology and control of nematodes. Given by the Phil. Association for the Advancement of Science, Inc.
- 1987 - Recipient of the Pest Management Award given by the Pest Control Council of the Philippines
- 1989 - Honorary Fellow Award given by t11e Crop Science Society of the Philippines
- 1990 - Awarded SEARCA Professorial Chair as Professor of Phytonematology
- 1990 - Plaque of Recognition for outstanding contribution to life science in the Philippines given by Philobioscientia Society of UPLB
- 1991 - PANTAS Award given by PCARRD, With a Research Grant of P200,000.
- 1992 - Special Recognition Award as NCPC Director, given by NCPC
- 1992 - Recognition Award as NCPC Director given by the Dean, College of Agriculture, UPLB
- 1992 - Achievement Award given by the Dept. of Plant Pathology during its Diamond Jubilee Celebration
- 1992 - Service Award for 35 years of service to the UPLB-CA, Dept. of Plant Pathology
- 1993 - Outstanding Gamma Sigma Deltan Award given by the International Honor Society of Agriculture, U.P. Chapter
- 1993 - Special Award of Appreciation given by the Agricultural Pesticide Institute of the Pllilippines (APIP)
- 1993 - ASEAN Achievement Award for Agricultural Research and Development given by the ASEAN Business Forum, Bangkok, Thailand
- 1994 - Award of Recognition in the field of agriculture science given by the municipal government of Argao, Cebu
- 1994 - Outstandiing Scientist in the field of Nematology-Plant Pathology given by the Dept. of Science and Technology, Region 7
- 1994 - Outstanding Agricultural Scientist (SAKA Gawad Award) given by the Dept. of Agriculture, May 27, 1994 with P500,000 Research Grant
- 1994 - Jose Rizal Pro Patria Gold Medal Decoration/Award with a Presidential Citation as an Outstanding Agricultural Scientist given by President Fidel V. Ramos in Malacañan Palace
- 1995 - Recognition Award for Outstanding contribution to Agricultural Development in Asia given by Asia Agricultural Research Development Fund Ltd., Hongkong
- 1997 - SEARCA Professorial Chair in recognition of his distinguished performance as a professor and outstanding achievements as a scientist by the University of the Philippines Los Baños
- 1998 - SEARCA Professorial Chair Award for the second year
- 1998 - Outstading Community Service 1998 Award as a leading implementor of the UP System's Pahinungod Program in a Farmer-Scientists Training Project for Sustainable Agricultural Development in Cebu. Given by the U. P. Alumni Association Cebu Chapter.
- 1998 - Achievement Award in Extension in recognition of his exemplary leadership in proving that sustainable agricultural development could be achieved in the countryside through a participatory, holistic and science-based training of farmers. Given by the Crop Science Society of the Philippines
- 1999 - Community Service Award for Visayas in connection with the Farmer-Scientists Training Program for Sustainable Agricultural Development in Cebu. Given by the U.P. Alumni Association, Diliman, Quezon City
- 1998 - Outstanding Extension Personnel Award for his success in developing 19999effective extension methodologies through the Farmer-Scientists Training Program in Argao, Cebu. Given by the University of the Philippines Los Baños
- 1999 - Plaque of Recognition for his research on Integrated com-based frarming system through the Farmer-Scientists Training Program in Cebu. Given by the Southern Tagalog Agriculture and Resources Research and Development Consorlium
- 1999 - National Development Paper Award, First Place in connection with the Farmer-Scientists Training Program for sustainable Agricultural Development in Cebu for Com, Rice, Vegetables and Dairy Production. Given by PCARRD during its 27th Anniversary Celebrationat PCIRRD, Los Baños, Laguna.